Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread CasseroleFrom" Oh She Glows"
Yield: 6 servings
Pumpkin Maple Baked Beans:
- 3 (15oz) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet onion, chopped finely
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 4-5 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
- 1.5-2 tbsp regular mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F. In a pot, add a splash of oil along with the chopped onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Now add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cook over low heat until thick, about 10-15 mins. You can make this the night before and leave it in the fridge like I did.
Vegan Cornbread (I don’t suggest making this on its own as cornbread, it works as a topping only)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (I used 1/2 cup oat flour and 1/2 cup almond flour successfully, but other flours should work)
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp light-tasting extra virgin olive oil (or canola)
3. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add wet to dry and stir until combined.
4. Grease a casserole dish (I used 2.3 L), spread in the maple beans, and spoon the cornbread mixture over top. Bake at 400F for about 35 minutes until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Serve immediately with a bit of Earth Balance on top if desired.
Note: Does not keep well for leftovers (it dries out a bit). I suggest serving immediately or halving the recipe if needed.