1 medium acorn squash
3/4 tsp plus 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
6 TBS olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large portobello mushroom, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
Optional: pinch of red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 450'.
2. Trim off ends of the squash. Stand upright and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp and seeks and discard. Brush each half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
3. Place acorn squash cut side down on baking dish. Roast until flesh is tender and edges are golden brown, apx 25-35 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute 2 minutes or until onions are translucent.
5. Add mushrooms and sage and 1/4tsp salt (and red pepper flakes if using). Saute until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
6. Fill the roasted squash halves with the mushroom mixture and bake again for another 10 minutes.