They sure are yummy! :)
1 (14 oz) can of beets, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup melted butter (or 1 stick)
1 cup sugar (I know thats a lot of sugar!! I am curious if I could substitute some of the butter and sugar for applesauce??)
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips. I used dark chocolate.
1. Preheat oven to 350' (Coat a pan with cooking spray. I use a stoneware baking pan so no spray needed)
2. Puree beets in a food processor until smooth. I used my magic bullet. (I seriously LOVE that machine)
3. Whisk together butter and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla. Then whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in beets.
4. Whisk together flour and cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Then mix into beet mixture until just combined. It took me awhile to get it to blend together at first.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. OR until toothpick comes out almost clean.
6. Cool, then cut.
Eat, but SHHHH dont tell people your secret until after they have tasted one.
My husband loved these brownies then I told him that I made them with beets. He made a 'stink' face, then said "well they are still really good anyways."
*Its nice because the natural sweetness and thick texture of the beets keep the brownies tender.